Bed net ownership and use by country mapped over time (Global), 1999-2008
More children protected from malaria by bed nets
- Click the 'Data' button to switch to different indicators and/or change the year.
- Click the right arrow button in the bottom right-hand corner to watch the map and table change over time.
- Click a range on the left legend to view all countries on the map that fall within that interval.
- Click on a specific country in the map or table and then hover over other countries to compare their time trends in the line chart.
- Zoom in and out of the map by using the plus and minus signs.
- Right-click anywhere on the visualization to view additional interactive options, such as adding text boxes or shapes.
- By right-clicking, you can also print the visualization with your custom additions (i.e., your current zoom settings, any text you added, or shapes).
- Watch the trends from 1999 to 2008 in the number of children under 5 is sleeping under a bed net. Under data, pick “% ITN use U5 Pop. At Risk,” which represents the percentage of insecticide-treated nets (ITNs) that are being used in homes that have at least one child under 5. Choose “1999” as the year. Then hit play in the bottom left and watch the colors change as the countries achieve a higher, or lower, percentage of bed net use. You will see how in 1999 most of the countries in Africa had bed net use of under 20%, but beginning in 2005, a significant number of countries began achieving a high level of ownership.
- As the map is changing, scroll over various countries to see their levels of ownership. See how some countries have fluctuated over the years. Eritrea, for example, had 77.4% bed net use in 2004 and was the only countries on the continent to have a majority of its children covered by a bed net. By 2008, though, its coverage had dropped to 63%. Mali, by contrast, climbed rapidly from under 20% bed net use in 2004 to 81.8% in 2008.
% ITN Ownership: Percent of households that own at least one insecticide treated bed net (ITN)
% ITN Ownership Pop. at Risk: Percent of households that own at least one ITN among populations at risk for malaria
% ITN Use U5: Percent of children under the age of 5 years who slept under an ITN
% ITN Use U5 Pop. at Risk: Percent of children under the age of 5 years who slept under an ITN among populations at risk for malaria
Related Publications & Presentations
Flaxman AD, Fullman N, Otten MW Jr., Menon M, Cibulskis RE, Ng M, Murray CJL, Lim SS. Rapid scaling-up of insecticide-treated bed net coverage in Africa and its relationship with development assistance for health: A systematic synthesis of supply, distribution, and household survey data. PLoS Medicine. 2010 August 17; 7(8): e1000328.