Development assistance for health by health focus area (Global), 1990-2009, interactive treemap
Track the changing trends in development assistance for health (DAH) by health focus area from 1990 to 2009. You can see how the proportion of DAH allocated to each health focus area changes over time.
Data are presented as boxes. The relative size of the boxes changes over time, as more or less money to DAH for a health focus area is allocated. Hit play and watch the changes. All values have been adjusted to represent millions of United States dollars for 2009.
This data visualization is best viewed using a modern web browser. If you are having trouble please consider updating your browser.
- See changes in funding to different health focus areas over time. Hit play. By mousing over each box, you can see the total amount of DAH given to that health focus area. The change in box size shows the change in the proportion of DAH that area received. Notice that while HIV/AIDS, tuberculosis, and health sector support received a large percentage of total DAH in 2009, growth in development assistance for these areas slowed between 2008 and 2009. Development assistance for malaria, noncommunicable diseases, and maternal, newborn, and child health accelerated over the same period. However, note that noncommunicable diseases still receive a small percentage of overall DAH funding.
- DAH 2009 US$ (Millions): Development assistance for health in millions of 2009 US dollars
- MNCH: Maternal, newborn, and child health
- TB: Tuberculosis
- NCDs: Noncommunicable diseases
- Unallocable: DAH for which we did not have information on disease focus
- Other: DAH for other health focus areas not yet tracked by IHME
Related Visualizations & other Tools
Related Publications & Presentations
Leach-Kemon K, Chou DP, Schneider MT, Tardif A, Dieleman JL, Brooks BPC, Hanlon M, Murray CJL. The global financial crisis has led to a slowdown in growth of funding to improve health in many developing countries. Health Affairs. 2012; DOI: 10.1377/hlthaff.2011.1154.